Filed Under: What I Want to Learn

Now that I've finally decided to fulfill a New Year's Resolution by starting to cook (here's what happened last Sunday when my sister and I cooked dinner for the family), there are so many things I need and want to learn. It also helps that people have been so encouraging and supportive, and offering recipes left and right.

Here are some of the things that I think I'd like to try making in the near (hopefully!) future:


1. Couscous

I don't know why, but apart from pasta (which I've always loved), rice meals have piqued my interest as of late. I think (?) that it may be fairly easy to jazz up a basic couscous meal... with some practice, of course. This recipe looks good.



2. Jambalaya

Another rice meal that I enjoy is jambalaya. I like Cajun food because their dishes are really flavorful and spicy. Recipes like this one look simple to do — somewhat. (I just hope that I'm not wrong.)


3. Truffle Pasta

As mentioned here, I've been into anything truffle lately. I just love how it elevates a dish's flavor in a whole new way. I would love to be able to recreate my favorite truffle cream pasta dishes at home, but I'm pretty sure that it will take some getting used to. This Bacon and Truffle Mac & Cheese looks like something I'd love to eat after running a 10K at the very least.



4. Pad Thai

I used to go to Thailand for work fairly regularly before, and I do miss it a whole lot. Since no one has actually tried to make pad thai at home, why not give it a go (maybe after I've actually made some progress in the kitchen)? If I were to try it, I'd use this recipe. Filing it for future reference.


5. Sushi

My mom took a crash course in Japanese cuisine about two years ago, so she knows how to make sushi. Someday, though, I'd like to learn how to make it for myself... especially since I get sushi cravings every now and then. If kids can make it, I guess I could, too.


6. Eggs Benedict

I love breakfast food. I could have bacon, eggs, corned beef, and the like for lunch and dinner as well. But I know that anything with eggs is tricky to do, especially Eggs Ben. One of these days, I shall conquer you! 'Til then, I'll keep this recipe for future use.


7. Pizza

We actually do have a pizza stone at home, but it hasn't been used for pizza, ironically. Maybe it's high time we try it out by making actual pizza. This recipe looks sooooooo good.


8. Mexican Food

I love Mexican food as well. It always has a lot of meat, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream; all of which I am a fan of. Some of their dishes are spicy, which I already mentioned that I also enjoy immensely. I'd actually want to try making tacos, fajitas, and quesadillas one of these days. Especially with lots of cheese in it. Here's a basic chicken quesadilla recipe that you might want to try, too.



9. Chicken Curry or Chicken Tikka Masala

I've also come to enjoy Indian cuisine lately, especially because most of their dishes are spicy but thoroughly packed with flavor. I've seen a lot of meal mixes in supermarkets, so maybe they can help jumpstart recipes like this one.


10. Risotto

Going back to rice meals, this has to be one of my absolute favorite things to eat. (Then again, anything Italian will always have a special place in my heart.) I love how sticky, gooey, but wildly flavorful risotto can be. I'm going to try this one — when I've more or less mastered how to cook rice, that is.


I've got a long way to go, and zillions of dishes to master, including Filipino favorites like sinigang, adobo, tinola, nilaga, and so much more. But I'd love to imagine the idea of having tried to cook each of these dishes — at least once in my life — in the not-so-distant future.

Plus, there's always YouTube to guide cooking n00bs like me nowadays. Thank God for technology!

P.S. All photos in this post are not mine. They came from each of the webpages that housed their recipes. No copyright infringement intended.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 23, 2014 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

4 Responses to “Filed Under: What I Want to Learn”

  1. Ay! I wanna learn how to cook Eggs Ben as well... and Couscous and Risotto. I don't know how to prepare sushi but we've tried its Korean counterpart (Kimbap) before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rose! I've helped my mom make it before. Surprisingly, it's not that hard. :)

      What may be difficult is getting all the ingredients from Asian stores, plus you need a sushi rolling mat (like this one: http://fantes.com/images/4040sushi.jpg). Once you have everything, you're pretty much good to go!

      Delete
  2. Tins! Love it. I have lang a mental note of all the things I want to learn to cook. After going through this, I'm inspired na to finally get my list in order na nga to help me visualize where I want to go with this cooking thing ^_^ How great that you placed photos too, mas motivating to learn :)) Here's to continuing personal development! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Cams! Visual pegs FTW! Here's to a food-filled (in moderation, haha!) 2014 for both of us. :D

      Delete