Project Pie N00b No More

Everything can be pretty much hacked or DIY'd to death these days. The more customized or personalized, the better. This applies to things you can do at home to burger restaurants grilling all over the metro.


It wouldn't be long, therefore, before DIY-ing pizza would be the next big thing.


Enter: Project Pie, an American franchise that was next to hit our shores.


I first heard about Project Pie late last year, when people would post pictures of their customized pizzas on social media. Initially, I wanted to try eating there (its first branch in the Philippines was located along Shaw Boulevard) just because it was a pizza place; customization wasn't even a factor for me.


But people would tell me about the long lines and the longer wait, so I didn't even bother trying.


Fast forward to 2014.


Mid-last month, I found out that they had opened another branch in Eastwood, which is a stone's throw away from my house. Almost immediately, I rallied my foodie troops (though majority of them couldn't make it) and made plans to visit the Eastwood branch ASAP.

Meet Rom (left) and Mitch (right).


Photo from Mitch.

The first thing we did upon entering Project Pie was to line up.


Everyone is given their own list of pre-suggested pizza combinations, plus all the toppings, salads, drinks, and dessert pizzas available.


You can also consult a much bigger board, which can be seen as you line up.


The savory pizzas — all thin crust and personal-sized, by the way — cost PhP 285, regardless of pizza combination. You can also add as many toppings as you like, free of charge!

In the first "station" you come across, you give your base order (i.e. No. 5, which was what I ordered) and the pizza server preps your dough and base sauce.


A few inches away, your pizza is passed along to another pizza server, who works on your toppings.


Toppings galore!


Step another few inches to your left, and you can opt to add herbs, greens, and other vegetables.


When you're done, your pizza (together with others' orders) go into a huge oven.


Beside the cashier, you'll see some chilled drinks, which you can buy.


Or you can get your drinks from these dispensers.


Two to three minutes later, your name is called, and you can collect your pizzas.

Here are what we came up with (with additional toppings):

My order: No. 5 (all kinds of cheese), then I added tomatoes and herbs.

Rom's order (No. 2), plus green bell pepper and olives.

Mitch's order (No. 2 also), but she added onions and jalapeƱo, I think.

At first, I wasn't sure if I would need to place a second order. Confession: it's because I eat a lot of pizza. Shamelessly, I could easily eat anywhere between six to eight slices of pizza. So I thought that Project Pie's four slices would be tantamount to having ingested... well, air. 

To my surprise, I was wrong. I was full after wolfing down all four slices (maybe because each of them was packed with so many toppings). Also, I loved the cheese and the quality of the dough and crust.

Afterwards, we decided to have a dessert pizza. Since we couldn't decide between their Banana Nutella and Strawberry Mango Nutella, we asked if we could split one pizza into two kinds of toppings. No problem!


Needless to say, we walked away with happy tummies (in my case, with a promise to work out and burn some of the calories I had consumed). Burp.



Looking forward to coming back, hopefully with my family this time.

P.S. I just had to mention this: the couple seated about a foot away from us kept removing all the toppings from their pizzas. We couldn't help but laugh. You guys chose and customized those pizzas, right? Kinda defeats the purpose of dining in an artisanal pizza place. El-Oh-El.

Verdict:
+ It was an enjoyable flavor- and toppings-packed artisanal experience and the price wasn't too bad, considering we could pile on as many toppings as we liked. I think anyone would love the pizzas they create. Also, the staff was not only friendly and accommodating, but really pleasant.

However, it's not exactly cheap (you can order a much bigger pizza for almost the same price at your favorite pizza chain) and if you arrive during peak hours, be prepared to do some waiting.

Project Pie Philippines - Shaw
1555 Laurel St. corner Shaw Blvd., Brgy. Wack Wack, Mandaluyong
+632-6500925

Project Pie Philippines - Alabang
Block 28 Commerce Ave., Alabang
+632-3308314

Project Pie Philippines - Eastwood
Ground Level, Grand Eastwood Palazzo, Eastwood Ave. corner Orchard Road, Eastwood, QC

Project Pie Philippines - Pasay
Bluebay Walk, EDSA Extension, Pasay

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 4, 2014 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “Project Pie N00b No More”

  1. A customized pizza?!? I like! Can they please set up shop in Cebu too? Hehe. If not, then I really have to schedule a trip to Manila within the year just to go on a food trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know if you're coming to Manila! I'll take you everywhere! Project Pie and one of the best ramen houses, for starters. :)

      Delete