Truffle-licious

First things first: here's a belated Mother's Day greeting for every mom (and single dad) out there reading this. Happy Mother's Day to you all! I just wanted to make sure that the spotlight would be on you for a few moments because you're amazing. Not everyone is blessed with an opportunity to take care of and nurture a child, and what you do is definitely a calling. Cheers to you!

With that said, here's one of the ways my mom and I bonded yesterday, which was Mother's Day. She asked if I wanted to make pasta, and we both thought of truffle cream pasta immediately. It felt like a scene out of Ratatouille wherein she would dictate what to do and I would be the hands executing it.


We weren't able to make pasta beforehand (we normally do pasta noodles from scratch), so we settled for store-bought penne noodles, which turned out okay anyway.

Cream-based pasta = sautéed garlic and onions. Check out our new sauté pan! White wine was also added after sautéing the garlic and onions.

Heavy cream! I basically guessed how much to pour in. Mom eventually told me to add another half cup.

Cheese no. 1: Parmigiano-Reggiano for some cheesy saltiness.

Cheese No. 2: Emmental, which is savory, but not too sharp.

I added some lemon shavings, if you will, for some acidity. I always remember Joe Bastianich (of Masterchef US) in such instances because he's all about "balance, balance, balance".

The secret ingredient! I ordered this tiny bottle online a few months ago; up to now, this is probably the most expensive ingredient I've ever purchased.

Mix, mix, mix! Mom told me to let my palate guide me, so I would taste the sauce every now and then. At this point, I was adding salt and cheese because the flavor was still kind of bland.

With some parsley on top, we were good to go.


The verdict?

Not quite Mamou-standards — I don't think anything will come close to it; I love it that much — but it's not bad for a first attempt.

To be honest, I was pretty surprised that it turned out this way. It didn't take long to make, I didn't follow a recipe, and considering I never cared about cooking prior to this year, this is one big "achievement unlocked" (as I'd like to call it). Looking back, I can't believe how indifferent and intimidated I used to be when it came to all things kitchen-related.

Next time, I'll try adding a third type of cheese, which is Grana Padano: an aged hard Italian cheese. It will give the pasta a different kind of "bite" to it (which one will find in risotto, for example). Hopefully, this next attempt will taste even better.

Buon appetito!

This entry was posted on Monday, May 12, 2014 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply