Going Green

Over the weekend, I wanted to try making another Thai dish that I'd come to love, and introduce it to the family at the same time. If you haven't guessed what it is yet, it's Thai Green Curry (with chicken).

And thanks to the almighty green curry paste, this dish was a breeze to make.


Step 1: I had to cut up a kilo of chicken breast into bite-sized pieces (we usually make for 8 people at our house, just to be safe and so there are always leftovers). Unfortunately, the supermarket I usually frequent ran out of filleted chicken breasts, so I had to learn how to debone. Consider this another new skill!



Step 2: Since the aforementioned supermarket also didn't have coconut milk on hand, I had to mix coconut powder and hot water in a bowl and combine it with the tiny can of coconut milk that I had already bought before.


Step 3: In the pan, I placed 2 tablespoons of oil, then poured half of the coconut milk mixture. Then I added the spice paste. When I could see a residue of oil on top of the coconut milk and spice paste mixture, that was when I added the chicken pieces and some kaffir lime leaves.


Step 4: It was time to let the chicken cook. After ten or so minutes, I added some green peas and the rest of the coconut milk mixture.


Step 5: After tasting and adjusting the "spiciness" level to my liking, it was time to plate up. I added some red chili and basil leaves.


Step 6: While the chicken was being cooked, I also prepared some coconut-infused rice (which, I felt, would match this curry meal). Again, thanks to the magic of mixes, all I had to do was sprinkle the mix in the rice cooker along with the rice grains. Technically, this makes it a Singaporean/Malaysian accompaniment (called Nasi Lemak), but I couldn't really care less about technicalities at this point. Haha!


Verdict: I was pleasantly surprised when the whole family (including the ones who aren't really fans of curry or spicy food in general) enjoyed it. I also brought some for my officemates to try the following day.

I think I'll take a break from my Asian cuisine adventures for a while and learn more about what I truly love, which is Italian food. I have so many more experiments to try as well as skills to master (which include filled pasta, for example).

But I'm just glad that I was able to try out yet another Thai favorite of mine, and share it with the rest of my family. More to come in the near future, I'm sure!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply