From South to North: Mama Lou's Italian Kitchen

Sometime last year, I'd see my friends from the south post photos of this certain Truffle Mac & Cheese dish. And anyone who knows me will know that I will automatically gravitate towards anything containing the word "truffle".

I was surprised, though, to find out that the restaurant where that particular dish was served was located all the way in Parañaque.

Given the traffic in Manila, that meant that this northern girl would spend at least two hours on the road — and that's just one way. I thought that the only time I'd get to check the place out would be the next time I'd visit my relatives who live in Alabang, so I forgot all about this dish and that restaurant.

Fast forward to early 2015. Thankfully, Mama Lou's Kitchen just recently opened a branch ten minutes away from my house, so I brought my family there to check it out shortly after its soft opening.


In their UP Town Center branch, I think they tried to recreate the ambience of their flagship branch in BF Homes, Parañaque (which is actually a house turned restaurant).

Lots of wood and brick textures dominate the place.

For starters, you will be served homemade bread with two kinds of sauces: a pesto and a marinara sauce.

You can opt to split your pizza into different flavors. For this one, we ordered half of a large Margherita and half of a large Mama Lou's Special. I forgot how they priced this because a standard large Margherita is PhP 375 and a standard large Mama Lou's Special is PhP 450. We were glad, though, that we got to try two different kinds of pizza: their crust is thin but holds well, their sauces are really good (I especially liked that balsamic touch from the Mama Lou's Special half), and their cheese... well, I will always be happy with mozzarella any day.

Do you know what it feels like to taste something and instantly understand what "died and went to Heaven" means? That's how it felt with my first bite of this beauty. Their Truffle Mac & Cheese (PhP 285) is now one of my all-time favorite truffle dishes in this city. A rich, creamy blend of different cheeses, plus a punch of truffle flavor, equals a tear falling from my eye. I was so happy that I finally, finally got to order this for myself.

My brother, CJ, ordered their Mozzarella Burger Steak (PhP 295). Great cook on the meat (I told him to ask for a medium rare to a medium). I was able to take a forkful of it, and fortunately, that one had some cheese in it; however, the mozzarella only comes through once you reach the center of the burger steak. Would've liked for it to spread out so on your very first bite, you'll be able to taste the cheese as well.

My mom's default pasta order, especially when sampling dishes from a new restaurant, will always be Vongole. In Mama Lou's, it's priced at PhP 295. I didn't get to take a bite from it, but based on how she looked while eating it, it must've been good. (She should know; she also makes this dish from scratch.)

My dad ordered one of the most un-Italian dishes on the menu: their Fish & Chips (PhP 350). Let's just say he's more of an English or German pub kinda guy, and will almost always order this dish when given the chance. At Mama Lou's, they use Atlantic Sole for their Fish & Chips. It was nice and crispy, not at all soggy nor greasy, and I liked their tartar sauce as well.

Unfortunately, my other siblings weren't with us; otherwise, we would've been able to sample more dishes. 

Shortly after this visit, though, I came back to sample another item on their menu that screamed "TRUFFLE". And I wasn't disappointed.

Glorious Risotto Tartufo Funghi (PhP 325), which, right when the dish was set down in front of me, wafted instantly with truffle aroma. The sauce was rich and creamy, the rice was cooked really well (not hard, not soggy), and the cheese/s they used was/were heavenly.

It goes without saying that I'm really happy that we have a good Italian restaurant a stone's throw away from my house — and that they have two delicious truffle dishes on the menu. Their pricing is reasonable for the serving size and the quality of their dishes as well.

One negative thing about this UP Town branch of theirs, though (I don't know if it's the same for their BF branch, or the other one that they also opened in the Nuvali area): it can get quite loud in there. Perhaps it's because two sides of the restaurant have glass from top to bottom, so sound bounces around. You can easily hear things like the blender whirring, the clanging of pots and pans from the kitchen, and pick up conversations from other diners. If you plan on going there for a date, or for an intimate gathering with family or friends, just manage your expectations.

Ground Floor, UP Town Center,
Katipunan Avenue, Quezon City

B1 L36, Tropical Ave. cor. Palace St.,
B.F International Village, Las Piñas
(+632) 519-1977


Solenad 2, Nuvali,
Sta. Rosa, Laguna
(+6349) 302-0752 

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 1, 2015 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply