No Star Price Meals in Baguio

It's no secret that my family and I treat Baguio like our second home. For several generations now, it's been a routine for our families to spend summer vacations and weekends in Baguio. We still make it a point to head up north at least annually.

For many years, we would usually just eat in Baguio Country Club (since that's where we normally stay) and in nearby restaurants in Camp John Hay or along Session Road. Lately, however, we've been more adventurous in terms of discovering new restaurants. Just like most places in the Philippines, Baguio has been upping its game in terms of cuisine and variety options, as well as the quality of food, so my family and I have tried a number of new restaurants recommended by friends and featured in articles.


Over the weekend, my family and I escaped to the mountains once more to enjoy the cold (by our tropical standards) and nature (by our urban standards). And this time, we were able to try another restaurant we hadn't yet heard of until my sister-in-law brought it up, thanks to the recommendation of her relatives.

"Want to try some Indian food?" she asked, knowing I would definitely take her up on that offer. (I'm a sucker for pretty much any cuisine, and I enjoy those whose dishes are all about bold flavors.)

"When? Tonight?"

So we found ourselves, almost impulsively on a Saturday night, looking for Chef along Rimando Road in Baguio.


To the left of this inclined street, one will notice a red circular logo on the window of the restaurant, along with two outdoor tables. Inside, there are just about four to five tables. It's a small space that fills up very quickly, and their interiors are quite basic. It's your no-frills, typical hole-in-the-wall kind of setup.


"Five Star Menu at No Star Price" was what they claimed to offer. And sure enough, as the four of us (my brother, sister-in-law, and three-year-old nephew, and I) found a table inside, the owner's father talked to us about the restaurant, making this very claim.

Mr. Farooq was very welcoming and animated in the way he talked to us about their dishes and the chefs that he and his daughter hired from different international hotel chains. The one thing he promised is that the food wouldn't disappoint us in any way, but he asked for us to be patient as they were understaffed that evening. We assured him that we were looking forward to our meal, and about 20 minutes later, our dishes started to arrive one at a time.

My nephew's first time in this kind of a restaurant.

Chef, we discovered while perusing their menu, isn't just an Indian restaurant. They also offer Pakistani, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern dishes. Their prices are very reasonable, and for those who frequent restaurants serving the aforementioned kinds of dishes, you would likely see your go-to meals in their menu.

I was looking forward to chicken tikka masala, one of my favorite things to devour, but unfortunately, this was one of those familiar Indian dishes that wasn't on the menu. Since I wasn't entirely hungry (I had a snack just an hour earlier) and this happened to be one of the restaurant's recommended dishes, I chose their cheese sambosa. A plate of two medium-sized (comparable to that of our local Jamaican pattie) deep fried pastries arrived within a few minutes. The portions were just right to satisfy my appetite that evening. I also liked the garlic sauce that they served it with. 

Cheese Sambosa (PhP 89)

My brother, on the other hand, took a while before he placed his order. He doesn't frequent Indian/Pakistani restaurants as often as I do, but he likes Mediterranean dishes. He ended up going for their chicken shawarma. The pita bread had just the right texture (neither paper thin and soggy, nor tough and chewy), and the combination of flavors of the ingredients in the wrap was well-balanced. There wasn't a singular overpowering flavor. 

Chicken Shawarma (PhP 89 for Standard; PhP 119 for Double Meat)

My sister-in-law had a serious craving for a rice meal that day (in case you didn't know, she's expecting her second child!) and was really looking forward to trying their lamb biryani. It was a big serving, good for two to three people (though you can opt to order a single serving plate). The lamb was cooked really well, and the blend of flavors was amazing. My nephew, who was both a lamb and a biryani first-timer, definitely enjoyed sharing this meal with his mom.

Lamb Biryani (PhP 239 for Single Serving; PhP 466 for 2-3 Persons)

Another item she was curious about was their prawn and scallop toast, which Mr. Farooq highly recommended. Initially, we were informed by the waiter that this dish wasn't available, but we were surprised to see, towards the end of our meal, a hot plate of this being served. The cooks were able to prepare it just in time, and were we glad that we got to try it. Loved the texture of the toast, the tenderness and flavor of the prawn and scallops, and the sauce that it came with. Well worth our wait and every bite!

Classic Prawn & Scallop Toast (PhP 139)

Unfortunately, we were too stuffed to order dessert, but I highly recommend their strawberry and yoghurt shake (PhP 69) as your drink of choice.

Needless to say, we enjoyed everything we ate (I'm sure they would've been able to cook up an amazing chicken tikka masala though; maybe something to consider if they expand their menu?). I'm happy to know that with the addition of restaurants like Chef, Baguio is quickly evolving into a foodie haven. We were also glad to have met the owners of the restaurant (Mr. Farooq's daughter eventually came over to say hi, as did her mom). 

I think I'll try one of their curry dishes the next time I find myself in Baguio.

(Huge thanks to my brother for lending me his camera and lens in order to take these photos; I had left mine in my hotel room that evening, haha!).

Chef 
No. 3 Guevarra Street, Rimando Road, 
Aurora Hill, Baguio City
(+63927) 986 7938

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply